Mobile phones are playing a prominent role in each individual’s life these days. A mobile phone is something that is with us from the time we wake up from bed till the time we go to sleep. Mobile phones have become so near and dear. All money transactions can be done in one go with the help of a mobile. We recharge our phone, send or receive money, access emails, social networking sites, etc. Many people even store their most important passwords, pin numbers etc. in the phone memory.
With the increase in usage of the mobile phones, there is a considerable increase in the mobiles being stolen. A mobile is not just an electronic gadget. It is your identity. Identity Theft can lead to serious issues if not taken care of.
“Prevention is better than cure!”
It is always good to take precautionary actions to protect your phone from getting stolen. Here are few tips you can implement to protect mobile phone from theft:
1) Always carry your mobile in your front pocket. If you put it in your handbag, ensure that the bag is zipped properly and make sure that you can see it.
2) Avoid browsing the phone while you are on a road. While you concentrate on your phone, there are chances that you might lose grip on your bag as well as the phone.
3) Avoid keeping your personal information and valuable details (such as PIN numbers, internet banking passwords etc.) on your phone. It is better to save important information on your home computer.
4) Ensure that you lock the phone with a PIN or a lock code. This will at least make your phone data inaccessible to the thief.
5) Record important phone information and keep it in a secured place. These details include:
- Your phone number
- The make and model
- Color and appearance details
- The pin or security lock code
- The IMEI number (on GSM phones)
- Your network operator can disable your handset and account details. For this, all you have to do is register your phone number with the network operator and report the loss to them immediately.
- Install an Anti-phone theft Software. Anti-theft apps like Lookout, Cerberus, Prey, and Android Lost offer a wide range of options for finding or protecting your device: GPS location, sounding an alarm, locking the phone, wiping the data completely, and more. Some phones also come with anti-theft features. Activate them as soon as possible and do use those features.
Know more about Anti-theft apps.