Online advertisements can be very irritating at times. Not only they make webpages load slower but they also distract users. Online advertisements are a source of income for webmasters and bloggers. Without advertising, the web would not have been what it is today. Sometimes advertisements are also genuinely useful. However, if you would like to block ads completely, here are 10 best ad blockers and extensions:
1) AdBlock Plus: AdBlock Plus is an open source ad block extension available for Chrome, Firefox, Opera and IE. It blocks pop-up advertisements, banners and also malware. It is customizable and you can disable it selectively for certain websites. It also comes with the option of setting custom filters and also additional ad blocking. Adblock Plus is the most widely used ad block extension with over 100 million users.
2) Ad Muncher: Ad Muncher is a free ad blocking software that blocks advertisements on all web browsers. It is not a browser extension but is a desktop application that blocks advertisements from loading. It also blocks advertisements in certain applications such as uTorrent. Ad Muncher used to be paid software earlier but now it is available as a freeware. If you want to support the developer, you can still make a donation on the official website. Ad Muncher is very easy to install. The application is also very lightweight and is only about 500 KB in size. Apart from blocking advertisements, it also blocks malware and reduces bandwidth.
3) AdBlock for Chrome: AdBlock and AdBlock Plus have similar names but they are different projects. AdBlock for Chrome has about 40 million users. It was designed for Google Chrome initially. However, versions for Opera and Safari have also been developed. AdBlock comes with different kinds of filters that prevent the loading of unsafe content. AdBlock can also be configured to block certain websites easily.
4) uBlock Origin: uBlock Origin is a free and open source, cross-platform browser extension for blocking advertisements. uBlock Origin is available for several browsers: Safari (Beta), Chrome, Chromium, Edge, Firefox, and Opera. uBlock Origin has received praise from technology websites as it is less memory-intensive than other ad block extensions. If you are looking for a lightweight ad blocker that will get the job done, uBlock Origin is the extension for you.
5) Ghostery: Ghostery is a popular extension for blocking intrusive advertisements, reducing bandwidth and protecting your computer from malware. It is available for all major browsers including Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer and Safari. Ghostery can be downloaded from the official website or from the Chrome Web Store. It can also block cookies and other advertisements from webpages and also from social media websites. Ghostery can detect hidden scripts and also comes with an opt-out option. It is a complete solution to block online advertisements, reduce bandwidth and improve browsing experience.
6) Privacy Badger: Privacy Badger is a free browser extension for Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Opera created by the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF). Privacy Badger automatically blocks spying ads and invisible trackers as you browse. It prevents advertisement companies from tracking your browsing without your consent. Privacy Badger uses an algorithm to learn which social or ad networks are tracking you and blocks them. It is one of the safest ways for you to browse the web without giving away your personal details.